Well what can I say now, but I am a Mom......it is so very very surreal especially the birth as it happened in about a split second. I can't complain about the planned csection, that's for sure... As I sit here looking at my little lady sleeping away I just still find it so hard to believe that she came out of me! The day she was born, I didn't get too see her much because her breathing was a little too much of a pant instead of deep breathes to help open up her lungs. The doctors kept her in the nursery with oxygen and she was up and running in about 15 hours, phew! But then she got the jaundice, a common conditions in newborns and she had to go into a special light therapy. But now we are home and things are adjusting accordingly. I have not mastered the art of breastfeeding yet, in fact I pump and use a bottle, which she likes better. Every time I try to feed her or latch her onto me she tries it for a minute and then archers her back and makes a face like I don't like this Mom! I worked with so many lactation consultants while in the hospital because part of the remedy for jaundice is that the baby must eat as much as possible so it can excrete the bilirubin out of their system. Elsa wasn't really eating anything because my milk hadn't come in til day 3, which is TOTALLY normal. Anyhow once we got her on the bottle at least she eats like normal baby I just don't want her to only want the bottle. I only bought a cheap little pump thinking well I'm a stay at home mom, I don't need a $350 pump!? Luckily I had bought the one I did because not only was it only $60, but it works better than the one they had me use in the hospital! So as long as she gets breast milk I am happy, but on the other hand, plenty of babies are formula fed, so maybe if she never takes to the boob I might start supplementing with formula. I 'm on the fence now because pumping and feeding her takes 30 minutes, whereas breastfeeding is more like an hour at this age, and well...anyhow we will see. The whole pumping and feeding schedule every 3 hours is draining me fast and this schedule is ridiculous, how is one supposed to be a sane Mom running on an hour here and 2 hours there of sleep!
I have had some wonderful friends come over and help out, and I am very appreciative of them! Jonas of course, is smitten with our daughter! He plays with her, loves to feed her(which is one of the pluses of the bottle, I can go nap while he feeds her!), and he's is getting better and better at changing her diaper, although when she has a "Scandinavian Blowout" as we call it, all over the new diaper, it's a little frustrating, but at least she is going!
So not much else to update you about, I feel great(yet tired) and cut out any pain meds for the c section except an occasional Motrin. Elsa is a doll, and Daddy well, like I said he is in love! Will post pictures later on, baby is sleeping and so must I!
Congrats! I'm so excited for you and happy to hear you had a safe and healthy l&d. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures as a new mommy of a beautiful baby girl.
ReplyDelete