Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Last Week!

Well, I had my final OB/GYN appointment Friday. I did not gain any weight since the previous appointment on the 28th, I found that odd, but that means only 24lbs gained the whole pregnancy, I'll take it! My blood pressure was perfection and what else, oh, my temperature 98 degrees. Dr Kung measured my belly and said Elsa was "not a big baby." She said that Friday her guess was 6 1/2 to 7lbs. I'm sure if I went to 40 weeks she would be up to 8lbs so I guess maybe Elsa will be born 7-7 1/2lbs?? We'll find out soon enough!

So then I had  my pre-op appointment with the nurse who prepped me on how to prepare for the c section. Having been through so many surgeries before I didn't have any questions really, and I don't feel nervous or anxious, I just joked that this is the first surgery I'll be awake for! I also made it very clear that I refuse to share a hospital room, especially with a Mexican family. YES I DID say that to the nurse and she kind of laughed and said, "I totally understand." From everything I've been told there is a lot going on within the first 3 days of your baby's life. Besides having a new baby that needs to eat every 3 hours or less, check ups, paper people, photo people etc I'm going to be tired and want to sleep when I can. I have always had to share a room after my other surgeries with somebody, one girl wouldn't stop talking to me, it was SO annoying. The second time it was an elderly lady who had tons of family members in and out of the room. This makes recovery more stressful than relaxing. So knowing how Hispanic families are around here with 40 family members probably rolling in and out of the room all day, I just can't deal with that. The thing is in any big Mexican family, you know, most are probably illegal, are more likely to be carriers of whooping cough because they usually aren't insured and not vaccinated. You have to live in CA to really understand this, and most of the people at Kaiser are Mexicans and they have lots of babies which increases the chances that there might be one there when I am. So I just wanted to make it very clear that there is NO way I will share a room with one. Call me a snob, I AM. I mean you should have seen the waiting room this past Friday before my appointment, wow. I hate to say it but there is definitely a class difference between Kaiser patients and my old group at Palo Alto Medical Clinic. If I could pull a Jay-Z and Beyonce and rent my own wing of the hospital I would.

Yesterday I took 2 classes at the hospital, one was about breast feeding and one was called Newborn care which Jonas came to as well. I signed us up for him really. He was SO cute, he was so into learning as much as he could. Jonas is SO SO excited to meet our little lady. I just hope our baby is cuter than this scary doll!

Anyhow, all is looking good. I have been having a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions the last few days. My stomach gets SO HARD, and it lasts for an indefinite time and they usually come after I eat, or sit up after sitting for a while but it is just very uncomfortable, I feel like I'm going to explode. I almost wish Elsa was coming this Tuesday! BUT let's look at it this way I have one more week to do whatever I want ...so let's see I've got a hair appointment, mani-pedi appt, day with a girlfriend, dinner with our Norwegians neighbors, facial and waxing appointments...so what else should I do? The thing is I can't be out and about for too long because my back starts to really ache, and I need to just lay down on my side to take the weight off. I guess sleeping is on the list but I've been napping every day for the last month! I have our maid service set up and I have been collecting all the things I need in a file for 2011 taxes, so I'm pretty on top of everything already hmmm  I really don't have a lot that I have to do, it's more what do I want to do?? Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment